Eclectic Ramblings From a Bike Riding, Sports Loving, Novel Writing Nerd.

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Getting Ready for NaNoWriMo

Exiting times are afoot around here as I gear up for NaNoWriMo.  I started using the Snowflake method to hash out the characters and plot for Dogwood a few weeks ago.  I've already made more progress using this method than in last three months.  Sure, it's not actual draft yet but I've been able to mold my characters into real people, figure out where the story is taking them and how to get there.  I still have a few weeks of prep to go but I fully expect to have the journey fully blocked out so come Nov 1 I can start banging out text.  

When I tried writing this story in the past I just had a loose idea of what was going to happen.  Now I feel like I have a firm destination and a robust GPS to guide the way.  I'm sure things will change a lot along the way but I'm not in the dark about the in between parts anymore and that is incredibly exciting.  If all goes well I'll have a first draft completed sometime early to mid December.  

I've also jumped into the forums over at NaNoWriMo and it has been incredibly encouraging.  There are so many people out there with cool ideas and everyone has been really supportive so far.  I'm really looking forward to an exciting month of November.  

The writing office is set up (It's in the kid's play room but when you live in a small house you've got to do whatever you can).  I have my document all laid out in Scrivener and I've got three weeks to do about two weeks worth of final outlining.  I can't wait to get this going.  

Stick around for updates.  I also welcome any feedback and comments you care to send my way.

Slainte!

Dwight

No comments:

Post a Comment