Eclectic Ramblings From a Bike Riding, Sports Loving, Novel Writing Nerd.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Backward Progress

Is it possible to move forward by going backward?

If so that's what I've done this last week.

I was feeling pretty excited last week when I hit 10,000 words on the novel.  I felt like,  even though it was only about 1/8 of the expected length of the book it was a really good start.  I felt like I was on my way.

Then a funny thing happened.  I was doing some research last weekend on writing styles, techniques etc when I came across this site.   This technique for outlining a book seemed tailor made for the way I think.  In just a couple of hours of reading I started thinking about the breakdown of my story and quickly came up with several great ideas.  I decided to give the outline a try and by the end of last week I realized I needed a complete rewrite of pretty much everything I'd written.  Everything I've put together will probably still be used but its all going to move around quite a bit, some parts will stay put, some will show up later, some will ultimately get cut.

The bottom line though is I knew I had a better story to tell than the one I had started.  So, 10,000 words down the tube but I know this book is in a better place today with essentially 0 words written than it was nine days ago with 10,0000.

I'll be working on this outline for the next couple of weeks which will lead to a scene map where I will lay out the overall path for the story.  I'm hoping to have it all laid out by Oct, 31 so I can sit down and bang out my first draft for NaNoWriMo in November.  If all goes well I should have a killer first draft, ready for Beta reading and editing.

I know this is going to push back my schedule but I really want this to be a great book when I'm finished, not just something that I finished only to say I did.  After laying out the changes that have come up so far I'm more excited today about it than when I first sat down at it this summer.

Anyway, wish me luck.  I'll keep updates coming regularly.  The short stories will be on hiatus for a couple of months too.  I'll kick them back up in December when I have a bit more time to devote to them.

Till next time!

Dwight

No comments:

Post a Comment