Eclectic Ramblings From a Bike Riding, Sports Loving, Novel Writing Nerd.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Something That Needs To Be Said

Many of you know that I am an avid cyclist.  This of course comes with its own set of risks and rewards.  I've noticed a trend recently that is a bit disturbing and decided to say something about it on Facebook.  After finishing it I realized I wanted to share this beyond my normal FB circle so I'm posting it here too.

Yeah, so some cyclists are a pain. That guy weaving in an of traffic or running the red light is a jerk. Even other cyclists think so. 

Here's the thing, most of aren't that guy. 

You know what I don't do? I don't run red lights. I don't cut people off. I don't cut my way to the front of the line at intersections or hide out in blind spots at turns.

You know what I do? I do get shit thrown at me. I do get passed with no clearance. I do get cussed out and yelled at.

Most of us aren't the jerk that ticked you off. Yet you still treat us all the same.

Here's the thing. You're safely encased in a two ton piece of metal. Nothing I do, no matter how jerkface it is, will come any where near harming you. The worst thing to likely happen to you is being 2 minutes later to your destination.

I'm on a 15 pound piece of aluminum and carbon fiber with nothing between my head and the pavement but plastic and foam. The worst thing that could happen to me..........



No comments:

Post a Comment