Eclectic Ramblings From a Bike Riding, Sports Loving, Novel Writing Nerd.

Sunday, August 4, 2013

And So It Begins

Well, after years of talking about it I am finally considering my novel to be officially started.  Yes, I wrote three chapters last year but they will be pretty much totally overhauled as I set out to publish my first book.  I've completely rearranged the character structure and plot outline.  I've begun the blueprint for the book's structure and have a good start on the research.

I was going to wait until National Novel Writing Month in November to start the process but I realized this weekend that I can't wait three months to get started.  This project is burning a hole in my brain and I need to get it onto paper.  Furthermore, I don't want to shoehorn this project into the constraints of NaNoWriMo (50,000 words in 30 days).  I'm still going to use November as a high intensity writing period but I won't be starting from scratch.  I've decided to get the first 1-3 chapters written by the end of September so I can try my luck at a Kickstarter.

Yes, that's right I'm going to try and fund this project with crowd sourcing.  There is a long list of authors at Kickstarter who have funded their first book through the website.  I figured I might as well give it a try.  I'm writing the book either way so why not try to secure some of the funding ahead of time.  I've found some self publishing print shops for paperback copies of the book as well as some quality editors.  Sure, I'll be using my mother in law and a good friend or two for initial editing but if I have the funds I might as well have a pro look at it too.

So, it is official.  I'm finally writing my first novel.  Wish me luck and join me for the journey.  I'll be posting regular updates as things progress so check back often.

Until next time!

Ike

No comments:

Post a Comment